Since 2006 Forest Carbon has been creating new woodlands in the UK on behalf of companies and individuals wanting to capture the unavoidable carbon dioxide emissions that arise from their activities, and make a wider contribution to local environments and communities at the same time. With expertise in forestry, carbon markets and woodland carbon methodologies, Forest Carbon is the country’s leading developer of voluntary carbon woodland schemes certified under the Woodland Carbon Code.
The Woodland Carbon Code delivers externally verified projects, certified by UKAS accredited bodies to ISO standards, that offer tangible social and environmental benefits; it is the only standard of its kind in the UK. The Code ensures that:
• The right trees have been planted, in the right place;
• The carbon capture estimates are project specific, scientifically sound and risk adjusted;
• The woodlands are managed to a high standard;
• The trees are protected in the long term;
• The trees would not be there but for the intervention of Forest Carbon and partners.
The story so far:
• Over 4.4 million trees planted in the UK;
• Over 75 new woodlands developed in the UK, covering 7,000 acres;
• 1,000,000 tonnes of CO2 being captured in the UK for businesses, including ICAP, Allstar, BWOC, Nationwide Building Society, PwC, sofa.com, M&S, Valassis, Antalis, The Green Insurance Company, Redhills, Stagecoach, The UK Green Investment Bank and many more;
• First ever Woodland Carbon Code project validation, September 2011;
• Over 4,000 acres of UK Biodiversity Action Plan Priority Woodland Habitats created, and over 100 miles of riverbanks protected from erosion, pollution and flooding;
• First ever Woodland Carbon Code group scheme validation, in partnership with Buccleuch Estates, March 2013;
• First company to deliver woodland carbon projects to buyers and investors via the Markit Environmental Registry, in July 2013.
• Members of Forestry Commission Woodland Carbon Code Advisory Board